Technology Solutions for Clinical Pharmacology, Pharmacovigilance and Bioinformatics
Since 2008, Smallcodes’ staff has created, in partnership with the University of Florence (first for the Department of Pharmacology and then Neurofarba), various products and services, some of which are:
- a web-based system of assistance to doctors prescribing Traditional Chinese Medicine drugs as part of the research project “Adverse reactions and drug interactions of phytotherapeutic Traditional Chinese Medicine. A study of pharmacoepidemiology, pharmacogenetics and pharmacovigilance”, relating to the 2007 call for young researchers of the Ministry of Labour, Health and Social Policies with the institutional address of the Higher Institute of Health;
- a regional database (Tuscany Region) of vigilance-device, accessible via web with appropriate credentials;
- a web system for the management of adverse drug reactions, SMART-ADR, developed with the Regional Centre for Pharmacovigilance (Tuscany Region) for the management of ADR (Adverse Drug Reaction) reports and for the compilation and semi-automatic sending of feedback to the reporters.
Since 2016 the partnership between Smallcodes and the University of Florence has been strengthened with the establishment of the joint laboratory Scarab Lab which aims to analyze the main technologies on the market regarding solutions for clinical pharmacology, pharmacovigilance and bioinformatics. Starting from the analysis of the state of the art for each problem or project submitted to the attention of the Laboratory, it intends to create ad hoc technological solutions with the best possible cost/benefit ratio.
Its main research activities are focused on the following topics of interest:
- technological applications for clinical, pharmacovigilance and bioinformatics pharmacological data;
- technical solutions for the pharmacological treatment of patients suffering from chronic and acute diseases, in relation to research projects and clinical studies;
- technological solutions for the collection, storage and analysis of bioinformatics data, with particular reference to pharmacology and pharmacovigilance.